Monday, March 1, 2010

Spirit of the fast

Today was the first day of the Baha'i fast.

The Baha'i fast takes place during the last month of the Baha'i calendar (March 2 -> 20th). While the calendar consists of 19 months of 19 days, each month has a name that refers to one of Gods attributes. The name of this month is 'Ala, which means loftiness. The previous Dominion.

I was helping to organize the devotional programme for the month of Dominion, and I sat back and realized that I didn't actually understand what was meant by "Dominion". So, I looked it up. And even until now, I notice references to dominion in various quotations, and prayers. In particular, the prayer I found for my good friend who passed away some years back.

"Wert Thou to bestow on one of Thy creatures what would equal the kingdoms of earth and heaven, it would still not diminish by even as much as an atom the immensity of Thy dominion. Far greater art Thou than the Great One men are wont to call Thee, for such a title is but one of Thy names all of which were created by a mere indication of Thy will."

Reaching the month of 'Ala, in preparation for the fast, and the feast, I looked up the definition of Loftiness as well.

To be lofty, is to be "exalted in rank, dignity, or character; eminent." Our origin is of nobility, while our destiny is of loftiness.

So, I begin to appreciate, what of this fast, placed in a month with such an appropriate title. The purpose of the fast being to detach oneself from this world, to be exalted above it, attain a lofty station. I.e. to involve ourself in our true purpose. It's a time to really reflect on our spiritual journey.

Before, I would explain the fast as being something wonderful - something that would remove such an integral part of our life, so as to constantly remind us of our true life - that is, our spiritual life. It's a symbol, and symbols have power.

There is no real point behind the fast just being about not eating. That's not what it's about, although abstinence requires discipline and commitment (both being virtues). It's much more meaningful than that. When the Prophet Muhammad was asked, what is more important than fasting, He replied saying, "the spirit of the fast". And that's what I'll be exploring for the next 18 days :).

My plan for the fast, is to find a different family to break the fast with each evening of the fast, to really use these opportunities to build bonds of love and fellowship :). I have the next week fully booked which is pretty exciting.

Haha interesting development in my life - I will be doing a JY group. I swore at the end of last year that I wouldn't, but they need someone, and I can manage. So that's... 3rd year med, weekly devotionals, weekly discussion groups, weekly ruhi book one, and weekly epistle to the son of the wolf study. And I still have a couple more weeks of B7 to go. :)

It'll be suhw33t! n__n

No comments:

Post a Comment